How to choose between hybrid app and native app?
Table of contents
With the advent of new technologies and the huge number of mobile users, mobile apps have become an integral part of every business for building strong relationships with their customers. Having a mobile app helps your business to offer a more streamlined and ‘contained’ experience to retain users successfully.
Even if you are sure that a mobile app is the best thing you need to boost up your business, you are still a step away from the app development process.
Most of the time, businesses often struggle with making an important decision to choose between hybrid and mobile app development.
In this article, we have highlighted some of the major advantages and disadvantages of both approaches. This will help you navigate the differences between native and hybrid apps and decide which option will work better for you.
A native app is a software application built for a specific device using a specific programming language. As native apps are built especially for one platform, the technologies used to build them also differs according to the platform.
For instance, for developing an app for Android system languages like Java or Kotlin will be used while for iOS, Swift or Objective-C is used.
When you decide to go for native app development, you will need to build two applications for two different systems like Android and iOS. This process will be longer and will require a lot of effort, but the final result will balance it. You will provide your customers a more responsive and faster experience.
Technologies used for native app development for different systems
As we have learned that native app development is a platform-specific process, different technologies are used for developing an app for different systems.
iOS native app development
It is a programming framework introduced by Apple for building an iOS native application. It is easier to learn and work with this programming framework due to its quicker performance.
Objective-C is a mature framework that obtains compatibility with other programming languages. It is known for its great development experience and available libraries.
Android native app development
It is the programming language used for Android mobile applications as well as desktop and web development. Java simplifies the overall programming process as it has become a special system of tools. But applications of Java are costly and perform slower than other frameworks.
Kotlin is a programming language developed to work with Java. Its type interface helps to reduce the time required for programming for Android app development.
Advantages of native app development
- Native apps provide a better performance as these applications are faster because they are built with a framework that is native to the platform.
- Native applications can be easily secured and hence can provide their customers sensitive data.
- These applications have the ability to connect different databases and device hardware features and reduce the need for plugins and tools.
- These apps have high performance and can work in offline mode as well, unlike the hybrid apps.
Disadvantages of native app development
- Native apps are really time-consuming because of the requirement to build complex and platform-specific software.
- Building such applications is costly due to the distribution of users across two platforms. These apps require the double amount of money to develop two separate applications for Android and iOS.
A hybrid app is a software application that combines both the elements of a native app as well as a web app. In other words, we can say that hybrid apps are websites wrapped in a native shell.
Hybrid app development is mostly preferred by app developers as it allows them to write code for a single time and still accommodate multiple platforms.
Technologies used for hybrid app development
- Reactive Native
This is an open-source technology created by Facebook for cross-platform compatibility. It is mostly used because it has a short development time. It allows the software engineers to access ready-to-apply units, but the framework may lack certain components.
Xamarin is a new development approach by Microsoft that enables the availability of the codes across the platform. It has helped the developers to simplify the maintenance and improve the development speed.
Advantages of hybrid app development
- The first most important advantage of hybrid app development is that provides a single code base for both platforms. Building two separate codes for Android as well as iOS is not required.
- Hybrid app development is cost-effective. You save a lot of money by developing one application for different platforms.
- A hybrid app is simpler to build and test, so you will reach the expected results faster.
- It is easier to maintain as all the updates will be simultaneously done on both platforms.
- It is convenient to the developer as well as the user as a lot of issues will be possibly fixed from the server-side and the user will get the updates automatically.
Disadvantages of hybrid app development
- A hybrid app is a cross-platform framework, so it depends on plugins to be connected with the device features. So, the developers need to create them manually sometimes, which can be tedious.
- Cross-platform frameworks require a regular internet connection as some features won’t be available when the user lacks connection.
Considering hybrid Vs native, both native and hybrid apps have their advantages as well as disadvantages and both are constantly improving with new technologies. Native apps perform faster than hybrid apps whereas hybrid apps are cost-effective and easy to maintain. So, there won’t be any correct answer to this question. You can also approach app development company to help you with which type of app will be better for your business.
To know how to select a good company, you can refer to our blog: What questions should I ask an app developer.
We hope that this article has helped you understand the difference between native and hybrid apps. The choice between a hybrid and a native app is important when it comes to mobile apps. As discussed above both applications have their own advantages and disadvantages. So, for making the right selection decision you need to consider various aspects the timeline, the budget, the features you want in your app, and the security requirement. Now as you are well aware of the strengths and weaknesses of both apps, the final decision will be yours depending on your business objectives and goals.
If you are thinking of developing an app for your business and hiring an app development agency in Jacksonville. You can search for the best App development services and approach the best company that can help you figure out which app will be the best for your business.