Google is shutting down websites made with Business Profiles
Table of contents
Recently, Google announced that Business Profiles websites will close in March 2024. When a user attempts to visit these sites, they will be automatically redirected right away to the corresponding Google Business Profile. Nevertheless, this redirection will be only valid until 10 June 2024. After this date, users who try to access the websites will receive a “page cannot be found” error.
What will this change mean for your efforts in the online space? After all, shouldn’t Google allow you to redirect it from the old site for a few more years? As of 3 months is too short for redirects to take place.
Here is the email Google is sending those who have built the websites using the Google Business Profile:
“Customers who visit to these sites starting the 1st of March in 2024 will be directed to your Business Profiles.
You’ve employed a Google tool in the past that has allowed you to create websites out of your Business Profiles using only rudimentary techniques.
This tool will stop being supported in a short time and sites created there on it will be deleted. To facilitate the transfer, as of March 1st, 2024, customers will be directed to your Business Profiles.
In your profiles, you can display the same or similar information about your business and provide links to social media sites so customers can find more details. Customers will be forwarded to your websites up until June 10th, 2024 when they become unavailable”.
What is the date when Google would deactivate from GBP websites?
Google Business Profiles will be used to create websites that switch off in March 2024. From 10th June, 2024 all Customers trying to access your website will be automatically redirected to Business Profile. From this day forward, visitors will hit a “page not found” error.
And what comes after for the website owners?
For some time, Business Profiles websites have been a favorite among many entrepreneurs and small businesses looking for an easy online setup integrated into Google. Widely, a Google Business Profile is simply an avenue for sharing updates and links to websites and social media platforms as well as photos posted with contact information. Now, with this transformation, webmasters will have to respond quickly and think about what is coming next.
One should develop a new site by using alternative tools, update their Business Profile with the address of the newly created website, and change DNS settings before this deadline.
Here’s a quick step-by-step guide on what to do following the change:
- Step 1 – Check your website setup: Figure out whether your business has a website on Google Business Profile. It is most conclusive if your website’s URL ends with .business.site or negocio.site If it does, plan for the change.
- Step 2 – Explore new platforms: Google recommends assessing other platforms. Search for user-friendly website developers or Web Design Jacksonville experts who can help you create a new website.
- Step 3 – Build your new website: After locating the ideal platform, develop a new one. This guide can help you to create your own website. This presents a chance for you to redesign and upgrade your online presence to reach out more effectively to the audience.
- Step 4 – Update your Google Business Profile: Make sure that your Google Business Profile is updated to reflect the changes. Change your business contact details by including the website’s new URL address to make it easy for clients to reach you online.
- Step 5 – Communicate the changes to your clients: Be sure to inform your customers of the coming changes. You can send emails, use social media sites, or have new business cards developed with the information regarding your brand-new website. This creates a seamless transition for you and your clients.
Google suggested using one of the following platforms to build a new website for your business before websites built with the Google Business Profile no longer work:
- Google Sites
However, as website design experts, we would recommend that you start with WordPress. There are numerous advantages to using a WordPress site.
What Google is saying
- “Websites made with Google Business Profiles are basic websites powered by the information on your Business Profile.”
- “Domains that end with business.site and negocio.site will be removed from the website field on your Business Profile in March. We recommend that you update your Google Business Profile to point to a new website.”
- Google continued: “If you’d like to continue having a website for your business, consider creating a new website using other tools and updating your Business Profile with the new website address.”
- “Due to low engagement, we are winding down websites made with Business Profiles, which previously created basic, templated websites based on Business Profile information. Small business owners will continue to have access to Business Profiles, as well as ads landing pages if they don’t maintain a website, and other resources to connect with potential customers online,” Google added.
Ad campaign issues
If your Ads campaign is connected to a Google Business Profile website, modify the link before March 1st, 2024, or opt for pausing it.
Visitors visiting your custom domain that was configured to get traffic to your Google Business Profile website will be redirected there until the date 10 June 2024. We need to manage this transition by logging into our hosting company account, choosing the “Redirect” option or similar functionality and redirecting a third-party domain to another website before a certain date. In 2023, Google sold off its Domains business to Squarespace and has since been redirecting Google Domains customers to Squarespace.
Prepare for free website changes on Google Business Profile
This move has also created uncertainty among many small business owners and entrepreneurs regarding the future of their online identities. Although it may take some time to get used to this transformation, such a transition also provides an opportunity to raise your online image with a customized website.
This move has been made now so that by guiding your business through a smooth transition, you are also preparing yourself to leave the competition behind.
Contact a Jacksonville web design company to help you get started.